Considering that I do a considerable amount of furry art, the question of “Is my character considered ‘complex’?” comes up a lot. Hopefully this blog entry helps those understand what my definition of a “complex” character is.
A “complex” character, to me, is defined as a character that has…
- More than 4 body colors.
- More than 4 hair colors.
- Very detailed and/or elaborate markings (tattoos, a lot of specific spots, detailed patterned stripes, etc.).
- Wings (feathery, bat-like, dragon, etc.) [Except if the character is a dragon, bat, or bird-like creature, then the other rules would have to apply to make it a complex character.]
- Glowing body parts or markings. (Glowing eyes are an exception to this rule)
- More than 5 piercings.
- More than 10 body horns or spikes. [Exceptions depend on a case by case basis.]
- 4 or more species in a mix that would require a large amount of labor. (Example: Wolf/Octopus/Scorpion/Velociraptor)
- Armor. [Exceptions depend on a case by case basis.]
- Cybernetic attachments or body parts. [Exceptions depend on a case by case basis.]
I hope this article helps! If you have any questions after reading this list, please feel free to contact me. I’m more than willing to work with my customers to ensure that everyone has a happy and enjoyable commission process.